The Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA), which hosts the Explore page, welcomes and encourages comments and participation. We’ve created this page as part of a focused effort to engage members of the national community of people who love aquariums and zoos. That’s a lot of people, and we like the idea of this as a place for those people to connect, share and learn.
Purpose of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums’ (AZA) Explore blog
- To provide zoo and aquarium fans with information about accredited zoos and aquariums.
- To provide a platform for users to share viewpoints and engage in dialogue with one another about zoos and aquariums.
Standard Policy Considerations
We ask that all participants:
- Keep comments on point. Comment only on the topic addressed in any specific blog post. Off-topic comments will be deleted.
- Keep comments constructive. Don’t be afraid to disagree. But disagree without being disagreeable. Destructive or mean-spirited comments, or comments that attack any individual or group, will be deleted.
- Keep comments clean. No profanity or other offensive language. Comments that include profanity or any other language that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
- Keep it spam-free. Comments that are spam, or seem to be spam, will be deleted.
Considerations Unique to AZA
As an association, we have some considerations unique to our role within the community we serve. These considerations are reflected in our Explore blog comments policy.
As such, we require that all AZA Explore blog participants:
- Avoid commenting on, or asking us to comment on, our specific member organizations. AZA is not authorized to speak for our individual member organizations, and we won’t do it under any circumstances. That rule applies across all of AZA’s work, not simply to this blog. Comments that put AZA in such a position, or use this space to question or attack any AZA member organization, will be deleted.
- Avoid commenting on, or asking us to comment on, specific AZA-accredited organizations or our policies regarding them. Just as above, AZA is not authorized to speak for our accredited organizations.
- Avoid asking us to comment on accredited-organization compliance with AZA accreditation standards.
Criteria for Posting Information on the Association of Zoos and Aquariums’ Explore blog
Fans of AZA are encouraged to post information about accredited zoos and aquariums. We encourage discussion and varying viewpoints. However, the AZA Explore blog will not feature:
- Comments attacking AZA-accredited organizations, AZA policies or accreditation standards. AZA is not authorized to speak for member organizations. Comments that put AZA in such a position will be deleted.
- Programs and events not related to AZA member institutions.
- Endorsements of specific brand name products or services for advertising or marketing purposes, except for AZA approved activities.
- Cruelty to animals
- Hostility or violence.
- Attacks on any group or person based on their ethnic, racial, religious, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Illegal discrimination against any group.
- Nudity/pornography, adult and/or hate language, tobacco, alcohol or similar information.
- Establishments where the distribution or sale of alcoholic beverages is a primary business function.
- Tobacco products.
- Firearms or other weapons.
- Illegal or inappropriate use of firearms or drugs, or any illegal activity.
- Sexual, obscene or indecent, or explicit messages
- Sexual overtone or innuendo.
- Products or services with sexual overtones such as massage parlors, escort services, or establishments featuring for show or sale X-rated or pornographic movies, materials or performances.
- False, misleading or deceptive sponsorships/advertisements.
- Language or information that is obscene, foul, vulgar, scurrilous or scatological.
- Information harmful to children or is of a nature to frighten children, either emotionally or physically.
- Online casino gaming, gambling or betting.
- Information affiliated with or promoting political campaigns.
Finally, AZA reserves the right to edit or delete any comments without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at anytime.